April 15, 2015, 4:33 p.m.
Submission deadline: Sunday, May 10, 2015
IZOLYATSIA Foundation, in collaboration with the Villa Arson, is calling for proposals for two upcoming artist-in-residency programs. We invite Ukrainian citizens both artists and researchers to apply, regardless of their artistic practice or preferred medium. We are seeking applicants with strong communication skills who are able to integrate into the daily life of the Villa Arson and its community, who are capable of participating in critical conversations, and who wish to exchange ideas with students and teachers. Proposals should demonstrate the need to utilise the extensive workshop facilities at the Villa Arson. During the residency program participants will have the opportunity to propose an exhibition of their work at the residency which Villa Arson may choose to exhibit at their discretion. During the residence the participant will be asked to make a presentation of his/her artistic practice to Villa Arson students. At the end of the residence the participant will be required to submit a narrative report detailing their experience at Villa Arson.
Language: English, French will be an advantage
Artist-in-residence program timeline:
First residence: October 5th — December 20th, 2015
Second residence: February 10th — April 29th, 2016
The selection committee will consider the quality of work first and foremost. Candidates will be preselected based on an assessment of their portfolios, and finalists will be selected only after an interview with the committee.
The Villa Arson is a unique organisation whose mission is the tandem development of initiatives for artists including training programs, creative work and exposure to the contemporary visual art world. It functions as an art school, an art centre, and an artists-in-residency-program all at once. To put it simply, the Villa Arson is an essentially hybrid and multi-facetted institution.
The participant’s periods of residence is intended to encourage dynamism and creative exchange. They promote lasting relationships between artists, students and art world professionals. The Villa Arson offers a unique research venue with access to the best technical equipment and apparatus— from the most traditional of tools to the most state-of-the-art digital arts equipment.
- a motivation letter in English explaining your reasons for taking part in the program;
- a project proposal for the residency period in English;
- a PDF portfolio of your work in English (maximum 5 MB). You may include links to one or several websites;
- a CV in English.
To apply please send the following to email@example.com
The selected participant will benefit from:
- individual accommodation at the Villa Arson;
- stipend for living and production expenses;
- travel expenses, visa fees;
- individual studio space;
- access to all existing resources in the context of artistic research at the Villa Arson, including the documentation centre with more than 35 000 books, catalogues and reviews on Art and Design;
- participation to the Villa Arson activities (conferences, meetings, discussions etc.)
- access to the school’s workshops. Ateliers available include painting and drawing studios; sculpture and installation workshops (metal, wood, ceramic); edition and photography studios (serigraphy, lithography, photography, publishing); digital atelier (sound, computer graphics, video, digital photography, web authoring); art theory and general culture atelier (aesthetic, art history, cinema).